Call for Submissions
Stories reveal the soul of a community and provide us with a glimpse into someone else’s life. For this upcoming new collection, we are seeking short stories that reveal the soul of human interactions that are set in Asia. More specifically, we are looking for stories that focus on Asian heritage, cultural practices and beliefs. In Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s words:
“… it is impossible to engage properly with a place or a person without engaging with all of the stories of that place and that person … and when we realise that there is never a single story about any place, we regain a kind of paradise.”
Let’s weave an Asian paradise with multiple voices together in this collection.
- Unpublished stories
- Stories revolving around any aspect of heritage, cultural practices and beliefs.
- Stories can be set in any Asian country. We are particularly interested in stories from: Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Brunei, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Vietnam, South Korea, China, Japan and India.
- Authors do not have to be based in the countries where their stories are set.
- Stories written for readers between
13 to 17 years old.
- Word count: 3,000 to 5,000 words.
- To include a glossary if necessary.
- Translated stories may be submitted for consideration, as long as they have not been previously published in English. Stories which have been published in English (including online on websites and personal blogs) will not be considered. If you intend to submit a translation, please obtain permission to translate from the author.
- You may submit more than one story and up to a maximum of two stories.
- Submissions must be literary in tone. Non-fiction and creative non-fiction will not be accepted.
Submission of stories
15 August 2020
Dear writers, please let us know if you have submitted your story and have not received an acknowledgment.
Notification of results
30 October 2020
Revised stories due
1 December 2020
Publication of book
30 June 2021
- Email your submission or queries to the editor at email@example.com
- Attach each short story as a Word Document.
- Use Times New Roman, font size 12, single spacing.
- Include the title of the story as the header in the email.
- Each story is to be accompanied by a 150-word author biography on the last page.
- If you are submitting more than one story, each must be attached as a separate Word Document.
Authors of selected stories will be notified according to the timeline above and an honorarium of S$50.00 and two copies of the published book will be awarded for each selected story.
About the Editor
Anitha Devi Pillai (PhD) is passionate about writing and heritage. She is a teacher educator and an applied linguist at National Institute of Education, Nanyang Technological University (Singapore), where she teaches courses on writing and writing pedagogy. For more information, visit her profile on NIE and Academia.
About the Publisher
As a leading general interest publisher in Asia, Marshall Cavendish International (Asia) is a trusted brand with a history spanning more than five decades. Their expertly curated books provide an enriching and memorable experience for all readers.